Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I attended an all-girls school, you know :P

I only know of one man who would agree that women are stronger than men (and I think he's more manly for it) but nonetheless, I am sticking to that belief.

I am not being sexist. I want to believe I'm being a realist if anything. Women are stronger than men.

I don't think I know of any man who can handle all 9 months of child-bearing, 6 months (and sometimes even up to 2 years!) of breastfeeding, toddler-raising and teenage-wrath-enduring any better than a woman can. In fact, maybe most men would consider these their worst nightmares. There’s a reason why it is the woman who gets pregnant, gives birth, breastfeeds, raises the children, etc. I remember this conversation I had with men about me giving birth:

P: Isipin mo Pre, hihiwaan ka sa tyan!

M: Nyay, ako nga nasugatan lang sa kamay dati, halos mamatay na eh!

P: Ako nga sakit lang ng ipin hindi ko na kaya eh.

I was silently smiling the entire time. I didn’t butt in the conversation but in my mind “that’s why it's MY job and not yours, you know!"

Men are not as strong as the image they project. Sure, they may not cry (at least not in public) while women wail in front of strangers one too many times. But women’s tears, I believe, is what make us stronger. We cry because we know we have to face it – we have to do something about it (and we actually do!)while men sit in one corner, trying to fight back their tears, shrug their shoulders and continue on with their lives. It is men who often says ‘there’s nothing else I can do about it’ when faced with a problem. Women cry when problem arises, and then, solve the problem (or at least try to).

It takes a great deal of strength to live the family you’ve known your entire life to marry the man you love and live with him. Most men don’t need to do that (or don’t even try!). It’s like being uprooted and placed in an unfamiliar territory you’re not entirely sure you want to be a part of.

But of course it is usually the man who goes to work in another country to earn a living. He is the one who endures the lonely nights away from his family. And of course that takes a huge amount of strength! BUT to be the one left behind also needs a good deal of strength. - to be the one left behind to raise the children – to stand as a mother and father to your inquisitive, active, growing children. THAT is something else.

I am not belittling the role of men, husbands and fathers in the society. I was raised by a strong man who I love dearly with my whole heart and soul and I can never put him to shame. All I’m saying is – this I know holds truth: women are stronger than men.

And yes, I mean that in general. It’s not only true for me or for my friends or for a certain group of people. Women in general are stronger than men. Our child-bearing ability, tears, PMS and emotional breakdowns, they are all signs of strength. Women are strong beings. We were given a BIG role because we are strong.

Now if only women realize it.

Also, a true story:

MY OB-GYNE SAID THAT SHE’S NOT AFRAID TO CUT ME DAYS EARLIER BECAUSE I AM CARRYING A GIRL. “Kasi mas malakas ang mga baby girls eh!”

That’s science for you. ;)

xoxo


No comments: